Leo simply will not eat red meat. We’ve tried to prepare it in a variety of ways and he still refuses. While we still continuously offer it to him it’s nice to make something he truly enjoys! I made this simple chicken stir fry inspired by a recipe my Mamaw Carolyn sent me recently and I must say Leo was a fan!
- Chicken – cut into one inch pieces
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Red onion
- Yellow squash
- Stir fry sauce
- vegetable oil – or your oil of choice
- White rice for serving
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Wash and chop your broccoli, squash and onion into bite size pieces. Place in a bowl and set aside
- Peel and press your garlic. Place in a glass bowl. Add about 1/4 cup of stir fry sauce. Cut your chicken into one inch pieces and add to the sauce. Toss, cover, and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- I use my 3 qt instant pot to prepare my rice – but you do you! This is when I put my rice on!
- Add vegetable oil to a large skillet or wok.
- Once oil is heated add the chicken. Cook continuously until chicken is fully cooked.
- Place the chicken on a plate and sit aside. I sat Leo’s chicken aside at this point. It was fully cooked, and I wanted to make sure it was cool by the time I served it. Also, I wanted to minimize the amount of sauce on it, but turned out he liked it even without this step because he needed more.
- Add about a tablespoon to your skillet. Now add your vegetables. Stir and fry until tender crisp. Before adding the chicken back in I sat aside a few pieces of the vegetables. Leo hasn’t been eating his broccoli as well as he has in the past, but again I still offer it to him incase he changes his mind!
- Add the chicken back in and about 1/2 cup of stir fry sauce. I always say measure with your heart.
- Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes or so.
- Serve over white rice. Add red pepper flakes if desired.
Overall, this is great recipe to make for a weeknight. You can make this for less than $12 and easily feed a family of 4!
Leave a Reply